Apply for a Plot
To Become a Garden Member and Apply for a Plot for the upcoming season, follow these instructions:
1. GUIDELINES: Review the Garden Guidelines & Etiquette document to learn about your obligations as a community gardener.
2. TIMING / DEADLINE: You can apply for a plot any time after Sept 1 of the previous year. The earlier you apply, the better your chance of getting your preferred location. Returning gardeners are required to register by Feb 28 of the garden season year to guarantee they can keep their existing plot.
3. LOCATIONS: Decide on your top three site locations. Check the chart at the bottom of this page to see which sites still have spots open. Note that if you choose the Weledeh garden (Site 4), you will need a Vulnerable Sector criminal record check (VSCRC) completed (we will email you a letter to take to the RCMP; there is no charge for the VSCRC).
4. REGISTER FOR A GARDEN PLOT: Complete the online registration and waiver form. There is a minimum of two people per full plot (or one person in each half-plot). Both you AND your garden partner must register separately using the online form. If you don’t have a garden partner, we will find one for you. You can also register as a supporting member with no garden plot. Note that our online registration system does not send you a confirmation of registration. We usually announce plot assignments in late March or early April.
5. PAY FOR YOUR PLOT. We ask you to pay at the same time that you apply for a plot, so our volunteers don't have to remind you later. Your registration will be CANCELLED if payment is not received by March 31 of the garden season year. If you register after March 31, payment is due immediately. We will refund you if we are unable to place you in an acceptable garden plot, however, we do not provide refunds if you decide to cancel your registration after you have been assigned to a plot at one of your chosen locations.
There are two ways to pay:
Paypal: The button is located just below, under "Fees summary". Select the correct amount in the drop down, then click "Pay with PayPal, Credit or Debit card"
Cheque: Mail a cheque payable to "Yellowknife Community Garden Collective" to PO Box 21, Yellowknife, NT, X1A 2N1. Cheques are not cashed until a plot is assigned.
$25 one person gardening half a plot
$50 two people gardening a full plot.
$10 for extra members in a plot (e.g., the 3rd, 4th etc. person in a full plot or the 2nd, 3rd etc. person in a half plot)
$10 supporting member (no garden plot)
6. NEWSLETTER: The Community Garden uses Mail Chimp to distribute news about the Yellowknife Community Garden and other gardening related news we think you'll be interested in. We will not share or otherwise distribute your contact information. We periodically automatically add new gardeners to the newsletter based on our list of current members. Subscribe to our newsletter
7. AGM: Attend the Annual AGM/Spring Social Event, which is usually held in April after plots have been assigned. You can learn more about your specific garden site, meet your site manager, and network with other gardeners. For information about the date and time of the Spring Social please check for the list of upcoming events and/or the latest newsletter from the News & Events page.
8. GARDEN: Add manure/compost, plant seeds, water your plot, pull weeds, thin your veggies, volunteer to help your site manager keep the garden neat and tidy and running smoothly, harvest and enjoy your veggies! Note that if you haven't planted by June 10, you are at risk of losing your plot to someone on the waiting list (your site manager will talk to you about this first). If you do not tend or harvest your plot, your site manager will probably also talk to you about that.
9. DONATE: Make sure you donate 25% of what you grow (unless you're at Weledeh garden) AND register your donations online. If you fail to register donations you will receive a warning after your 1st strike, lose your returning gardener status after a second year / strike, and not be allowed to garden with us anymore after a third year / strike.
10. HELP: If you have read through EVERYTHING on this website and still have unanswered questions, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for general questions, or email@example.com for questions specifically related to registering or paying for a plot.
See the current status of registrations below.